Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Week One


<--This is what I looked like when I weighed over 300 pounds.


--> And this is what I look like now.

When I was my fat self, I had no self-esteem, and I thought about losing weight all the time. I tried so many different diet plans that the diet industry should have been paying me to test them all. I always lost weight, but it never stayed off until I finally bought the clue that I had to change my lifestyle too. Which I did. And I got thinnER.

I taught myself to run, and trained myself to the point where I was able to run a half-marathon. That was possibly the proudest day of my life. I set out to accomplish something and I did it.

At that point I wanted to lose 50 more pounds. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't lose it.

Something happened in my head when I finished that marathon. I had nothing else to train for even though I was running regularly, and I was at the point where I looked 'normal' for the first time in many years.

Complacency has set in folks, and I have been content with the way I look. But I'm not really content. I want those 50 pounds gone, and I want them gone this year.

That's where the title of this blog comes in - Fifty Counting Down means I'm starting at 50 and I'm counting back to zero. I may find that I need to lose more once I get there, but for now I'll be happy to shed the 50.

Monday is weigh-in day. Each week I will be reporting how much I lose (or gain god forbid) and I'll be accountable to myself and you, gentle reader. I'm considering podcasting on this as well - I know I'm not the only binge-eating, control-freakin', obsessive compulsive, all-or-nothing food addict out there.

See you next week with an update.

2 comments:

  1. Lybbe,

    You are not alone. I went to my Doctor recently and found a high triglyceride level. Not too high, but it is due to increased weight.

    Please don't just tell us how much you have lost, but how you are doing it.

    I have come to the conclusion that I need to reduce my caloriuc intake. I dread that...

    Good luck! I will be following your progress!

    BTW... You are a grand, beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those pictures ... you look like two totally different people! Well done! I've subscribed to your podcast.

    I liked what you said on Fdip this week. :)

    ReplyDelete