Thursday, June 4, 2009

Episode 6


I was feeling very down after my last episode - couldn't find my mojo and was generally very whiny. I think it was a combo of rainy weather, allergies, and some springtime blues. Fortunately, the feeling didn't last past Friday and I'm back to my usual sunny self!

I worked all weekend and instead of sitting in the van while the kids were out canvassing, I got out and did wall-type pushups, or walked a block and back (can't get too far away from the van), or stretched my legs and back. Sitting in one position all day long is not a good thing and sometimes I feel like I'm totally siezed by the end of the day.

Monday was a long run day for the Half Marathon Training. The photo at the top of the blog is from a road underpass that used to be covered in nasty graffiti. A city works program let a bunch of kids from the neighbourhood paint it last summer, and it really is quite spectacular. There are various scenes from around London depicted along the length - very nice work. Since I've never gone 5 miles on that route before I had not seen this before. Just shows what you can see when you get out and walk around your own city.

I'm getting braver with my bike. I attempted to ride to Thorndale on Tuesday (about 25 miles round trip)but I only made it half way because I chickened out when faced with a HUGE hill on the secondary highway. I wasn't sure I could make it up the hill and I'm still very leery of traffic. I'll do it - probably within the next couple of weeks as my biking ability increases.

I listened to this book on Audible last month: http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307266309 and I highly recommend it for anyone who runs or wants to run. I'll be buying a paper copy so I can 'read' it, rather than listen. Good stuff!

Had a lot of requests on Twitter for this recipe - so here it is. I am not a 'measuring' kind of cook - free-form and Zen-like is me so use your imagination and make it suit your own taste:

Quinoa/Mango Salad

Boil one cup of rinsed quinoa until done (will look like small beads with white ring around outside) - drain, and refrigerate for about an hour. You should have about 2 cups of cooked quinoa.

Peel and chop a large mango - add to quinoa
Chop, slice or dice a very large red pepper - add to quinoa
Thin slice a whole vidalia onion - add to quinoa
Cut the ends off a handful of snow peas, and steam until just bright green - do not over-steam - you guess it - add to quinoa.

Toss everything together and sprinkle with a little sea salt. If the mango is not overly ripe and isn't really juicy, you can add a bit of lemon or lime juice.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I listened to this episode on my way to work this morning and lmao all the way. A number of ahha moments for me. I think it's the fear of success that gets in our way. We're good at so many things and certainly claim to be perfect:), but deep down are afraid to be cuz then we'd have to maintain all that perfection. If that makes sense. Almonds and apricots are a FINE combination and have been banished from my house as well. Very weird eh? Genetic or some deep seeded nurture thing? You're right, we love the inner you, but remember it's the inner you that wants to fix the outer you. And the inner you is putting it all out there on this blog and podcast. Wow!! The inner you is completely amazing!! I would never have the guts to do that. But I'm sure glad you do. Inspirational and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete